APPROVED DOCUMENT M – Access to and use of buildings
- Building Design Expert
- 5 years ago
Date published: January 2013
This current edition of Approved Document M: Access to and Use of Buildings has been updated and replaces the previous edition.
It incorporates text amendments made to reflect any changes arising as a result of the Building Regulations 2010 and 2013 amendments. There have been no amendments to the substantive requirements in Schedule 1 (i.e. Parts A to P) of the Building Regulations.
Some of the main 2013 amendments reflect changes to:
- general guidance on materials and workmanship and the Construction Products Directive
- references relating to the Equality Act 2010 and Equality Act 2010 (disability)
- simplification of general guidance for stairs and ramps ( that do not form part of the external principal entrances and alternative accessible entrances
- updated guidance on access statements, door opening forces and changing places toilets
- updated guidance on guarding and handrails, and manifestation for glass doors and glazed screens moved to Approved Document K
Changes coming into effect in 2013.
The changes in the 2013 edition of AD M take effect on 6 April 2013 for building work carried out in England and for excepted energy buildings in Wales as defined in the Welsh Ministers (Transfer of Functions) (No. 2) Order 2009. The 2004 edition incorporating 2010 amendments (archived below) will continue to apply to building work started before 6 April 2013 or subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before 6 April 2013.
The current 2004 edition incorporating 2010 and 2013 amendments of Approved Document M has been made available for download below.
A further document which lists the 2013 amendments to Approved Document M has also been published for use with the Approved Document M (2004 edition incorporating 2010 amendments version from 6 April 2013 and can be found in the download section below.